Re: [Gnash] Licensing issues with Gnash KDE GUI

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Licensing issues with Gnash KDE GUI
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 08:29:11 -0700

Aidan Thornton wrote:

> There appears to be a nasty licensing issue with the Gnash KDE GUI.
> Gnash (and its KDE GUI code) are now licensed under the GPL3. However,
> it has to be linked against QT, which is as far as I can tell still
> GPL2-only. At the very least, this makes the resulting binaries
> unredistributable, and I'm not sure about the legality of

  I've had several recent conversations with Trolltech management, and
I've been assured that they have no interest in going after Gnash for
any copyright issues because it GPLv3, and that QT 4 is going GPLv3
reasonably soon. The FSF and the SFLC have also had conversations with
Trolltech, and feel there is nothing to worry about, since Trolltech is
upgrading the license on QT. So at this point I'm gonna assume this is a
non problem.

        - rob -