[Gnash] Fw: Adobe Opens Up AMF Spec

From: Dâniel Fraga
Subject: [Gnash] Fw: Adobe Opens Up AMF Spec
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 14:57:30 -0200

        I thought you may find it interesting...

neutrino38 writes "Adobe has released the specification of the AMF
format, the format used by Flash Remoting — the equivalent of AJAX for
the Flash world. The article doesn't mention the AMFPHP project and the
fact that some German and Canadian guys had reverse-engineered the
format a long time ago. Adobe's action eases a long-standing legal
uncertainty that slowed the uptake of AMFPHP for commercial projects.
Next, we note that Adobe has not released its RTMP protocol used to
contact a Flash Media server. This latter protocol is more interesting
as it provides sessionful operation; media streaming; RPC both
client-side and server-side using the AMF format; and shared objects
among several sessions and server-side events. Fortunately, RTMP has
been partially reverse-engineered by the red5 project. I suggest that
the W3C should take a look at the whole Flash ecosystem as they think
about upgrading the HTTP protocol."

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

--
Linux 2.6.23: Arr Matey! A Hairy Bilge Rat!
http://u-br.net