[Gnash-dev] i18n query

From: Chris Leonard
Subject: [Gnash-dev] i18n query
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 00:38:52 -0400

Dear Gnash-devs,

In going through the Gnash PO file, a few questions have come up.

1)

From:
libcore/asobj/Date_as.cpp:725

to about:
libcore/asobj/Date_as.cpp:1167

There are a series of date and time related strings.  It is a little unclear whether or not certain portions of these strings should be localized or not.

For example, should:

libcore/asobj/Date_as.cpp:1071
Date.set%sMinutes needs one argument

be translated (in Spanish) as

Date.Set%sMinutes necesita un argumento

or should the time unit be localized to

Date.Set%sMinutos necesita un argumento

Normally,  I would think the second translation would be appropriate (locaized time units), but the Virtaal translation memory is pulling in matching strings (apparently sourced from Micro$oft) that would suggest otherwise.  In any event, adding some clarifying developers comments in the PO file would be an i18n enhancement that would probably yield better L10n results.

2)

There is one string that is somewhat inconsistent with the pattern of the others and may be an i18n error.

Many strings follow this pattern (with the embedded %s):

Date.set%sMinutes was called with more than three arguments

but this string:

libcore/asobj/Date_as.cpp:1167
Date.setMilliseconds was called with more than one argument

does not have an embedded %s variable. Should it?

Thank you for your attention to this matter.  I am asking on the list rather than filing a bug because I am not sure it is a bug.

Warmest Regards,

cjl