Re: [Gnash-dev] building for gnash with flash toolsets

From: Chris Barrett
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] building for gnash with flash toolsets
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 20:28:14 -0400

We did at one point try removing and recreating them half their height farther down, but ended up going with just increasing their ._y  by the same amount (ran a bit faster this way).  When we had it doing a more regular shift of the _y of a movieclip, doing this with 4 or more MovieClips on the stage at once on the XO B2's, or roughly 10-12 on the B3's, would cause the movie to really crawl, too.  Also, the block MovieClips aren't actually lines since the official Flash player (and I think Gnash, but I can't quite remember now if I actually tested this for Gnash) seem to render lines slower than fills in MovieClips when they're from the library, rather than using the drawing API.  So the squares are 50x50 with a line-like fill of thickness either 5 or 10 pixels and 100% alpha.  When falling like that, there's no animation or tweening going on, but I do believe we use a shape tween when they're 'destroyed' by the player.  Though Gnash seems to handle that tween fairly well from what I was seeing.
The biggest slowdown was actually moving the mouse.  It seems Gnash takes a really long time to process mouse movements, even when we aren't using any onMouseMove listeners.  There's a single button (the MovieClip sort, rather than a v1/v2 component sort, of course) at the very beginning of the game with a rollover graphic.  I don't know how that button was written, but I doubt it's anything as... excessive as an onMouseMove listener or anything.  Essentially when the mouse is moved constantly or just shy of it for, say, 3-5 seconds, the game will sit there for maybe another 10-20 seconds without updating anything graphically, then catch up again (assuming the mouse is then no longer moving).

Regarding "Suggest they produce the *smallest* possible movie reproducing the bug and submit it (completed with source code buildable with free software tools) as a testcase for inclusion in our testsuite."  I'm completely unfamiliar with any Flash compilers other than the ones available from Macromedia/Adobe.  Will the same .fla I'm using in the Flash 8 compiler, set to compile as Flash 7 in AS2, also be usable with free software tools, or is there something else I should do to enable you to access the source?