Re: [Gm2] Re: data alignment is now possible

From: SiTex Graphics
Subject: Re: [Gm2] Re: data alignment is now possible
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 15:56:22 -0700

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 5:36 AM, Iztok Kobal <address@hidden> wrote:
> As for the others - I would strongly discourage anybody to use packed
> structures for implementing e.g. communication protocols or HW accesses

For that narrow set of uses I'd agree.

> If I were an advisor for GNUM2, I would never support the structure fields
> packing and clearly state that it is not supported and not to count on it.

Packed structures can reduce memory use significantly and increase
cache coherence, which is very important for good performance (at
least on modern x86 architectures).  I don't see why making that
option available for architectures where it is advantageous should
affect those where it is not since the default settings produce
unpacked structures.

Regards,
Scott