[Gm2] Re: data alignment is now possible

From: SiTex Graphics
Subject: [Gm2] Re: data alignment is now possible
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 17:58:23 -0400

Thanks.  That will be handy.

I see now that my original question was poorly worded.  What I was
really after is a way to pack fields in a record as tightly as
possible.  Both XDS and StonyBrook have a global option for that.
Here's a simple example (source code attached).  With the following
type declaration:

  Test = RECORD
    a : CARDINAL8;
    b : CARDINAL32;
    c : CARDINAL8;
  END;

GM2 reports SIZE(Type) as 12, whereas StonyBrook and XDS report 6 with
packed field alignment.  With the other compilers changing the field
alginment does not require modificiation of the source code, and that
would be highly desirable. Maybe there's already a gcc-based
command-line option for field alignment?

In any case the ability to specify variable alignment will be useful
in its own right.

Thanks,
Scott