Re: [glob2-devel] world desyncs

From: Donkyhotay
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] world desyncs
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 16:12:17 -0700

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 22:52 +0000, Leo Wandersleb wrote:
> wrong! simply run two instances of glob2. works perfectly. you can even
> play against yourself via YOG.

Never thought of that though it's obvious in hindsight.

> i tested it before as descrtibed above and having different flag
> settings in both instances caused a crash with the first flag beeing set.

I'm assuming you also tested for identical flag settings as well.

> > Specifically set the game so that when a
> > building(flag) is placed if there is a custom setting it performs a
> > quick loop sending out orders to increment the workers.
>
> That's about what Stephane said. keep it a gui-thing. i'm not into the
> code now but i'm sure there is a better way to increment workers than
> one by one.

If there is a way to do it without incrementation (and without causing
desyncs elsewhere) I can't think of it at the moment either. This just
seems so... awkward though. You'd think the number of globs assigned to
a building would be sent out as part of the order (I assumed as much
until problems started to occur and I looked closer) though I will admit
it does cut down on bandwidth (and keeping the bandwidth down is one of
the objectives) but it just seems wrong to me for some reason.

--
Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on
believing in windmills.