[Getfem-users] Shrink fit problem

From: Miikka Väntänen
Subject: [Getfem-users] Shrink fit problem
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 15:59:30 +0300

Hi all,

I’m relatively new to GetFem, but I’ll try to do my best in explaining what I’m struggling with…

I’m trying to solve a linear elastic problem that consists of two parts, a shaft and a bush. Between the two parts I use a contact “add_nodal_contact_between_nonmatching_meshes_brick” (in python api). I’m using a linear gmres solver with either ILU or ILUT preconditioning (probably ilut works better with saddle point problems?). There’s also some loading implemented to the shaft, but I reckon that’s irrelevant at this point.

The real problem I’m currently facing is with the shrink fit. The actual shaft-bush contact should have a shrink fit with 5 mm radial difference between the two parts. Is there any way in getfem to implement the shrink fit? Should I, for example, use temperature change to shrink/expand the parts in an individual step before calculating the actual static problem? Or should I implement a radial displacement to either of the faces in contact? Is there any way to do any of this?

Br.

Miikka V.