Re: [Getfem-users] Shrink fit problem

From: Miikka Väntänen
Subject: Re: [Getfem-users] Shrink fit problem
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 09:44:47 +0300

Hi Kostas, and thank You for your immidiate reply!

My current os is CentOS linux, 6.5 release, with x86x64 (also 32 bit available). At the time being I'm using only one cpu (no mpi atm), which I suppose ought to be enough as the model is not a huge one and I'm not in a hurry...

I had some problems with getfem version 4.3 (with the nodal contact brick, actually) and changed to 4.2 just because of that. Now that you recommended the integral contact, I might give it another go. The contact is what I was actually interested in, so I was planning to fiddle with different contact bricks anyway once I get the model working with any one of them.

I tried the superlu solver but ended up with eating up all the memory and hence crashing the script. I might try mumps, once I get it installed. The model has 16500 nodes and I'm using linear hexahedron (8-node) elements so there should be around 50 k dofs.

I would like to avoid modifying the mesh geometry because I'm planning on comparing the getfem contact results with results from other fem software, and changing the mesh would affect the outcome. But if I that's the only reasonable way to do it, would I just modify the meshes so that they would overlap by 5 mm and then let the contact brick handle the rest? Would it force the surfaces into a contact and apply the contact pressure that is respective to the overlap distance?

Br.
Miikka

Hi Miikka,

some questions/comments/recommendations:

- Which version of getfem++ do you use, which operating system?
- Why don't you use "add_integral_contact_between_nonmatching_meshes_brick"? It is normally superior to nodal contact.
- Why don't you use a direct solver like superlu or even better mumps? How many degrees of freedom do you have?
- The easiest way of accounting for the interference fit is by modifying the meshes so that they incorporate the fit. You can modify the mesh in your mesher software or within getfem, e.g. by using the functions pts() and set_pts() of the mesh object in python.

Best regards
Kostas