gdb

Re: warning .dynamic section for <file> is not at the expected address

From: Sergio Durigan Junior
Subject: Re: warning .dynamic section for <file> is not at the expected address
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 17:39:16 -0200

On Friday, January 17 2014, amit chaudhuri wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi Amit,

> I'm trying to remote debug using gdbserver & gdb with the former
> running on an embedded powerPC device, the latter on Linux
> 3.7.10-1.16-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri May 31 20:21:23 UTC 2013
> (97c14ba) i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> I get multiple messages like this from gdb after setting sysroot, solib
> search paths, source directory search paths and target remeote (in that
> order)  :
>
> warning: .dynamic section for "<filename here>" is not at the expected
> address (wrong library or version mismatch?)
>
> An example of a file which triggers the warnings is libboost_thread.so.1.51.0
> Result of executing file on same is:
> ELF 32-bit MSB shared object, PowerPC or cisco 4500, version 1 (SYSV),
> dynamically linked, with unknown capability 0x41000000 = 0x13676e75,
> with unknown capability 0x10000 = 0xb0401, not stripped
>
> I believe this means I'm mixing up inconsistent versions of the shared
> objects.  I want to eliminate the cause of the warnings before I try and
> chase a crash down.
>
> I'd like to do two things but am not sure of the best way to do so:
>
> 1) locate the source code section for gdb which issues the warning.

You can use grep for that.

# git grep ".dynamic section for "
gdb/solib-svr4.c:             warning (_(".dynamic section for \"%s\" "

Take a look at gdb/solib-svr4.c, at the function "lm_addr_check".

> 2) find a way of manually checking various files to verify whether (e.g.) X &
> Y are compatible in this context.

The best way is to guarantee you're using the same binaries on both the
host and target.  From what you said, you are not.

You might also want to send further messages to address@hidden,
because this list is not the official one for GDB.

Thanks,

--
Sergio