gdb

warning .dynamic section for <file> is not at the expected address

From: amit.chaudhuri
Subject: warning .dynamic section for <file> is not at the expected address
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 09:48:36 +0000

Hi all,

I'm trying to remote debug using gdbserver & gdb with the former running on an
embedded powerPC device, the latter on Linux 3.7.10-1.16-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT
Fri May 31 20:21:23 UTC 2013 (97c14ba) i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I get multiple messages like this from gdb after setting sysroot, solib search
paths, source directory search paths and target remeote (in that order)  :

warning: .dynamic section for "<filename here>" is not at the expected address
(wrong library or version mismatch?)

An example of a file which triggers the warnings is libboost_thread.so.1.51.0
Result of executing file on same is:
ELF 32-bit MSB shared object, PowerPC or cisco 4500, version 1 (SYSV),
dynamically linked, with unknown capability 0x41000000 = 0x13676e75, with
unknown capability 0x10000 = 0xb0401, not stripped

I believe this means I'm mixing up inconsistent versions of the shared objects.
 I want to eliminate the cause of the warnings before I try and chase a crash
down.

I'd like to do two things but am not sure of the best way to do so:

1) locate the source code section for gdb which issues the warning.
2) find a way of manually checking various files to verify whether (e.g.) X & Y
are compatible in this context.

My version is GNU gdb (GDB) SUSE (7.5.1-2.1.1).
I'm assuming that I can use objdump or something similar to run the relevant
checks but need a little nudge to get me pointing in the right direction.

Any guidance appreciated.

Amit