gdb

[Gdb] regarding tracepoint support in GDB

From: ankit thukral
Subject: [Gdb] regarding tracepoint support in GDB
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 23:53:30 -0700 (PDT)

hi,
   i was reading the GDB manual and realized that
there is,practically, no tracepoint support provided
by GDB since this support is available only for remote
targets and for the latter , GDB doesn't provide any
stub (like gdbserver) which has tracepoint support.i
have a few doubts in mind regarding this :

1. why does GDB not provide this support for local
host (i thought that would have been simpler)?

2. is it not the case that the features (supposed to
be) provided by tracepoints can be done using
breakpoint features only (for instance , we can
specify COMMANDS for  a breakpoint just as we can
specify ACTIONS for tracepoints) ?

3. does tracepoint use the same TRAP (or ILLEGAL )
instruction mechanism for tracepoints as it does for
breakpoints? if not, what does it do?

thanks in advance,
ankit.