gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] gcmd-1-3 discontinued

From: Michael
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] gcmd-1-3 discontinued
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 22:56:56 +0200

Piotr,

i think i can understand your reasons. Maintaining an 'experimental' branch is
a luxury for projects with say at least 20 developers, not one. And given the
situation you would probably focus on implementing a new feature only if it's
seriously useful, wanted, and reachable.

> gcmd-1-3 contains now code for vte and Magnus' script for mime type
> handling. The first one has been already incorporated into the new 'vte'
> branch, the latter will be rewritten in C++ for better integration with
> gcmd.

This would be a huge benefit, though i hope it's not asking for trouble since
.local settings were somewhat work in progress, in the past. Hopefully settled
now!

> I am going to make it happen before the next release.

curiously looking forward :)

> The next major release will be 1.4

If you skip 1.2.9 then 1.4 is logical.

> The release will be shipped with tabs support and mime type
> handling.

... and that's more than enough for a major version bump

> And the next step is transition from GnomeVFS to GIO/gvfs, what should
> result in version 2.0.

Actually i do not see so much webdav (like) stuff online, still, today, but for
sure that's the right way to go.

Thumbs up & many thanks

Micha