gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: gcl build error on RH Linux 7.3

From: David Shochat
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: gcl build error on RH Linux 7.3
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 21:37:05 -0400

On Mon, 08 Jul 2002 15:01:50 -0400, Camm Maguire wrote:

> The following message is a courtesy copy of an article that has been
> posted to comp.lang.lisp as well.
>
> Greetings, and thanks for your report!
>
> David Shochat <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I get the following error trying to build gcl 2.4.3 on RedHat Linux 7.3
>> using the tools
>> (including gcc 2.96-110) which came with the distribution. #define bool
>> _Bool
>> So when the compiler sees object.h:67, after preprocessing it looks
>> like typedef int _Bool
>
> This is well known.  The issue is fundamentally with gcc-2.96, which is
> quite broken as is widely accepted.  Both earlier and later versions do
> not define bool here, so the gcl team made the decision not to support a
> work around in the CVS tree.  You can try yourself, though, by placing
> an #undef _Bool before the relevant line in object.h.

I assume you meant #undef bool (stdbool.h had #define bool _Bool). I
tried that and ... Bingo! The build completed without error and after
extremely limited testing, appears to work. Anyway, if anyone else tries
to build it on RH 7.3, the fix appears to be trivial. btw, I read on /.
that it looks like the next RH release will go with gcc 3.something.
Thanks again!
-- David