gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: gcl build error on RH Linux 7.3

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: gcl build error on RH Linux 7.3
Date: 08 Jul 2002 15:01:50 -0400

that has been posted to comp.lang.lisp as well.

Greetings, and thanks for your report!

David Shochat <address@hidden> writes:

> I get the following error trying to build gcl 2.4.3 on
> RedHat Linux 7.3 using the tools
> (including gcc 2.96-110) which came with the distribution.
> #define bool _Bool
> So when the compiler sees object.h:67, after preprocessing it looks like
> typedef int _Bool

This is well known.  The issue is fundamentally with gcc-2.96, which
is quite broken as is widely accepted.  Both earlier and later
versions do not define bool here, so the gcl team made the decision
not to support a work around in the CVS tree.  You can try yourself,
though, by placing an #undef _Bool before the relevant line in
object.h.  Better yet, use either 2.95, 3.0 or 3.1 -- they are much
better compilers in all respects.

> I also tried CVS as of last night, but then I get this error:
>
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../mp/libmport.a', needed by `raw_gcl'.

Just checked out CVS myself, and built without problems.  What this
indicates is that the configure of the gmp subbuild failed.  You can
likely determine why by examining the configure output.  If you need
further help here, please post the full configure and make output, and
I'll take a look.

Take care,