gap-dev-discuss

[Gap-dev-discuss] MPDCon with Lyrics Inspector now in CVS

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: [Gap-dev-discuss] MPDCon with Lyrics Inspector now in CVS
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 13:24:22 +0200

Hi,

I added a simple Lyrics Inspector to MPDCon in CVS.
What it does is connecting to lyrics.wikia.com, looking
up Lyrics of the current song, based on the artist
and title.
Why lyrics.wikia.com? Well, they seem to have a fairly
large collection of lyrics, and even better, they provide
an API. Actually two APIs, a SOAP interface, and a
REST API. For the Inspector I chose to use the REST
API. The result of the query is a little XML snippet.
Since the API only returns about 1/7 of the full lyrics,
due to fair use and licensing, there is a button at
the Inspector, which will open the URL of the
website where to find the fully lyrics using
NSWorkspace openURL.

The API only allows for exact matches. So with
badly formatted tags in the music files, the Inspector
may not find the lyrics even if they are available.

So far, it works well for me. Since all this memory
management is not one of the best fields I understand,
there still may be memory leaks in it.

Let me know what you think about it.

cheers,
Sebastian