gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] ready packages, release candidates

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] ready packages, release candidates
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 11:11:10 +0200

Hi,

Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:

I just rechecked, and you are right, the ADDITIONAL_LIB_DIRS is indeed not
needed anymore, so sorry for the noise.

Excellent. See that it also builds, links and runs in a clean environment as you do for packages.
Sometimes we do fix things :) See that it all works then

I don't know well how to handle this in a good way, I am not that expert
in make+configure.
Perhaps we could tweak the PDF inspector.

But I think That PDFKit is not linked well, one should not need to add
the linker path stuff.
For example, if you compile a gnustep applicaon, you do not need to add
al paths of libxml. libtiff, etc needed to compile base and gui.
For me, libxml, libtiff etc are installed in /usr/local/lib, the same place
where
all other gnustep libraries get installed. Therefore, it will just find them.
libfreetype
is in a different location. Where do you have libfreetype installed on Linux?
On my
opensuse box, its in /usr/lib64 where I guess the make will just find it and
pick it up
easily. I guess the configure script for the Inspectors need to be enhanced to
deal
with that. But for the ports tree, I'm fine with setting the environment
variables.
This is easy enough for me ;) Since its done this way for years, I don't think
its a reason to hold back a GWorkspace release.

gnustep-back links to freetype for me. On freebsd I have:
%ldd ./libgnustep-back-023
./libgnustep-back-023:
        libcairo.so.2 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libcairo.so.2 (0x28371000)
        libfreetype.so.9 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.so.9 (0x2845d000)

yet when I compile any program (including other pieces of gworkspace which use configure) I do not need to add any special flags. Thus something can be improved in PDFKit, but what?