gap-dev-discuss

[Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune - ALSA backend

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: [Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune - ALSA backend
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 21:46:07 +0200

Hi,

I investigated and I found out two possible reasons why the ALSA backend plays badly on my iBook. 1) Looking around on the net I found that apparently some hardwares do not accept all rates! This explains perhaps why I have troubles with 11KHz and 22Khz files 2) we disregard 8bit files and always set 16bit. this can't be good, apparently it works on some backends and/or some hardware. Ideally we should extend our backend bundles to support that kind of information too (hopefully we can get it out of the libraries and file formats!)

I attach a patch to partially work around the problem. ALSA supports soft resampling (we set it already and it should have been enough, I thing that some kernels are buggy on certain hardware). At least we don't fail miserably.

I also attach an 8bit file 11Khz.

Riccardo