Re: [Fsfe-uk] Sep 27th will be GNU's 25th anniversary

From: Dave Page
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Sep 27th will be GNU's 25th anniversary
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 23:10:29 +0000

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 08:48:31AM +0000, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:

> Sep 27th will be the 25th anniversary of the initial announcement of GNU:
> http://www.gnu.org/gnu/initial-announcement.html

> The 15th and 20th anniversaries were marked by RMS publishing an essay:
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/15-years-of-free-software.html
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/use-free-software.html

> And I'd be interested to hear other ideas.  Sean Daly suggested to me a set
> of 10 minute videos explaining individual issues such as DRM, swpat, etc.

Here are some ideas I had for the Manchester Free Software group which
could be used elsewhere:

It'd be great for FSUK Manchester to organise something based around
Free Software. Perhaps a series of talks, events, film screenings etc.
Ideas I've had, incorporating Free Culture events:

1) Take over (part of) the Central Library computer room using LiveCDs
of GNU/Linux and other free software as a practical demonstration, and
handing out the CDs to attendees. I'm not sure what the best LiveCD
would be to use - perhaps something like Gobuntu or gNewSense,
preferably one which has more than just software, such as video
and text files.

2) Film screenings, such as Revolution OS or Good Copyright, Bad
Copyright

3) Some kind of nightclub event where the music is all freely-licensed -
I suspect that if we could promise punters, we could take over FAB for a
night.

4) Talks about Free Software and how and why it's important and how
people can get involved.

Dave
--
Dave Page <address@hidden>