Re: [Fsfe-uk] Sep 27th will be GNU's 25th anniversary

From: Ciaran O'Riordan
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Sep 27th will be GNU's 25th anniversary
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 08:56:49 +0000

Ciaran O'Riordan <address@hidden> writes:
> * Compile a book on the history of GNU and software freedom (focussing on
>   1983 to 1998)
> * Compile info for July to start pitching to the tech magazines to make the
>   GNU anniversary their cover story for September
> * A general free software event (we actually haven't done this before - not
>   with multiple speakers at least)

By this I mean a big European event.  Probably one-day.  Not sure what the
mix should be between tech, law&licences, activism/organisation, informing
people about FS / FSFE.

> * An awareness campaign, with a booklet, press releases, and letters to
>   software companies asking them to sign something (anti-swpat?)
>
> And I'd be interested to hear other ideas.  Sean Daly suggested to me a set
> of 10 minute videos explaining individual issues such as DRM, swpat, etc.

And one other idea was to launch an annual award.  December's Scandinavian
Free Software Award was reportedly a well liked event:
http://fscons.org/award-winner

More ideas sought.

--
CiarĂ¡n O'Riordan (+32 477 36 44 19) \ Support Free Software and GNU/Linux
http://ciaran.compsoc.com/ _________ \     Join FSFE's Fellowship: