Re: Cathedrals - was Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free software book?

From: Rob Myers
Subject: Re: Cathedrals - was Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free software book?
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 00:40:28 +0000

Jon Grant wrote:

But they are public development projects... My understanding of the
Cathedral bit was that it also indicated a closed project like GCC
used to be.. (did I get that right?) and XFree86 was (do any OSs still
use XFree86 !?)

The bazaar model doesn't capture "benevolent dictator" projects. Nor does "commons based peer production" for that matter. Scratching an itch is all well and good but itches tend to be caused by environmental factors, and sometimes you're better off inventing antihistamines.

If we accept that someone is running the bazaar it becomes less of a robust individualist fantasy.

- Rob.