Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC trial of embedded Flash video

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC trial of embedded Flash video
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 15:41:54 +0100

On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 15:27 +0100, Ian Lynch wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 15:04 +0100, Alex Hudson wrote:
> > In terms of competition, though, in the software business such things
> > are sometimes naturally limited by time - VCs are usually after an exit
> > in the medium-term, and they may be thinking that this kind of business
> > has a life span of a similar term. After all, in ten year's time, we'll
> > likely have something completely different to Flash around.
>
> But for an exit they would normally look for a buyer of the business or
> a floatation. If the life of the business is limited so will be its
> attractiveness to a buyer or stock market investors who are looking
> longer term.

Indeed. I'm just thinking, though, that if they're after the "flash in
embedded devices" type market (which is probably a play requiring much
more than a working Flash plugin), the investment goes in to make a
short-term buck, not to build a long-term business.

I understand the point you're making though - are we actually sure Gnash
has got VC funding here? I hadn't seen any announcement that they'd
raised $/€ 10M, let alone that it was venture capital.

Cheers,

Alex.