Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC trial of embedded Flash video

From: Ian Lynch
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC trial of embedded Flash video
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 13:47:05 +0100

On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 13:25 +0100, Dave Crossland wrote:
> On 21/05/07, Ian Lynch <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 09:45 +0100, Dave Crossland wrote:
> > >
> > > Adobe charges _a_lot_ of
> > > money for embedding Flash in devices
> >
> > But how do the VCs get their money back?
>
> High end development services, mainly porting, is big business.
>
> "Selling ... "porting Gnash to your device"."
> - http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnash/2007-03/msg00000.html

But if anyone can do it, where is their competitive advantage to come
from? I can see that you can set up a service company but usually VCs
don't invest unless there is clear protection from competition at least
for enough time for them to recoup their investment. I'm not saying its
not commercially viable, just that it seems like an unusual investment
for a VC to make.

Ian
--
New QCA Accredited IT Qualifications