Re: [Fsfe-uk] US Lawyer says sue me first :-)

From: Ian Lynch
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] US Lawyer says sue me first :-)
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 13:40:14 +0100

On Sun, 2007-05-20 at 13:08 +0100, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> Guy Johnston <address@hidden> writes:
> > As far as I know, Microsoft's specific claims
> > about patents only apply to the US,
>
> Worse, they haven't specified their patent claims in any country.  Not the
> USA, not the UK.  Nowhere.  They're just throwing around numbers and vague
> statements.

The US lawyer inviting MS to sue him says he does npt believe that any
of the patents would stand up in court and that MS have no intention to
actually test any of them in court. All they are doing is banking on
companies paying them through fear just in case. The Novell deal was
designed to give legitimacy to this strategy. However, the GPL3 seems to
snooker MS on that front.

Really Christian Einfeldt's strategy is to get publicity and since it
went to the front page of Digg I guess he has had some success.

Ian
--
New QCA Accredited IT Qualifications
www.theINGOTs.org