Re: [Fsfe-uk] US Lawyer says sue me first :-)

From: Guy Johnston
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] US Lawyer says sue me first :-)
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 01:06:46 +0100

Ian Lynch wrote:
> [...]

If you live in the UK (as I assume because this is a mailing list aimed at
people in the UK, and
from the address at the bottom of your message), I'm not sure this will work.
As far as I know,
Microsoft's specific claims about patents only apply to the US, and a
particular patent only applies
in the country where it was applied for (except maybe in the EU). Also, as far
as I know, software
idea patents can't be granted in the EU (at least theoretically). So either
way, if you're in the
UK, I don't think Microsoft are even claiming to be able to sue you.

--
Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office files -
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html.