Re: [Fsfe-uk] Grants programme

From: Graham Seaman
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Grants programme
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 22:15:52 +0000

Ian Lynch wrote:
On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 20:20 +0000, Alex Hudson wrote:
On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 19:47 +0000, Stuart Yeates wrote:
Alex Hudson wrote:
I wonder whether employment is the right route though: once you get into
that, you get into a contractual relationship which is a lot more
serious, and you lose efficiency from a tax/NI point of view (that is,
the student would end up with less).
Could we structure it as a scholarship? Most universities / large
colleges should already have facilities for handling scholarships.
That's not a bad shout at all.

I guess we should find out - my worry about scholarship :) would be that
you're not allowed to expect the scholar to do anything other than their
study, otherwise it's more or less another form of employment, but I
have _no_ idea.

I would always be wary of schemes which could be construed as attempting
to get around employment rights / taxes, but there must be some way we
can do this.

Easy, insist that part of their learning is to produce some useful
digital resources. The Gold INGOT is built on this premise so it would
be pretty straightforward for a university to say that a student
computer science project needed to result in something useful. Such a
student has his fees paid by the grant.

Ian
It's not at all unusual for companies to sponsor student projects, either with individual money or via a prize for the best project on a theme. Texas Instruments spring to mind as one that does this often. And both lecturers and students are often desperate for meaningful final year project work. The problem is finding the good students, who generally have ideas of their own. There are also likely to be legal issues with universities who have developed mad ideas about the saleability of 'IP' and about who owns rights to student work; but if it's specified up-front that the output has to be (for example) gpl, that puts the onus on the uni/lecturer to make sure they can get it past their regulations...

Graham