Re: [Fsfe-uk] Debian needs Welsh and Irish l10n help

From: Shane M. Coughlan
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Debian needs Welsh and Irish l10n help
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 15:24:44 +0100

Jon Grant wrote:
> Without wanting to cause a stir with any cultural imperialism, perhaps
> there are more important things than Welsh and Irish i18n..
> Welsh was almost dead before the revival in the last 10 years as I
> understand it. Many of those people taught in Welsh will be stuck with
> difficulty speaking English when they want to consider wider range of
> job options in their life. So it could be a blessing for them to have
> English as their first language, and a European or Asian language as
> second ;)

Um, no.  I don't agree.  A culture is inherently connected with its
language.  We should not depreciate support for languages merely based
on considerations of financial gain or job opportunities.

I am Irish, and one of my regrets is that - as a child - I did not learn
more about the language.  I'm glad there is support for my language in
GNU/Linux and I would appreciate if it were maintained.  I do plan to
study Irish again when I have time.

Happy to discuss this off-list :)

Shane