Re: [Fsfe-uk] Grants programme

From: Chris Croughton
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Grants programme
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 12:48:35 +0000

On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 11:31:18AM +0000, Alex Hudson wrote:

> It would be worth reconsidering the format - I would say Google's Summer
> of Code has been more successful in getting people to apply, and while
> they're offering more money (both in total, and per person) I do wonder
> if they have figured out the right audience (students without real jobs,
> interested in a few hundred quid).

I think this is part of the problem.  The amount we have available isn't
enough to make much difference to most developers, a thousand pounds
represents less than a week's work at contract rates (40 hours * 25
pounds per hour would be close to a minimum for contract programmers
with any experience).  At best it might buy some hardware.

Offer me 25 grand and I'll be willing to take 6 months off to work on
a project...

Chris C