Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: AFFS workings

From: Andrew Savory
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: AFFS workings
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 20:14:25 +0100

Hi,

On 29 Jun 2005, at 17:28, Adam Bower wrote:

Because most of the stuff we do is terribly boring, there has been a
private committee list since AFFS was started

<snip/>

The situation is that if all the things that the committee did was
public then I could imagine that every time we made a decision we would
get flamed by some of our members.

Boring or no, flames or no, it's rather ironic that an association designed to promote freedom and openness is unable to achieve those same things itself.

If openness works so well in many many free software projects, why do you assume it would not work for AFFS?

I think it was in 2003 that I first publicly grumbled about the affs-cttee-cabal. Perhaps the recent discussions will prove cathartic and allow AFFS to get on and do stuff.

I don't think fiddling with mailing lists or rewriting constitutions will do the trick. I think what's needed is some serious community-building and inclusionary practices to get people participating.

The newsletters are a good move. How about getting them on the website right away, and into the RSS feed?

Let's get the decision-making out in the open, on the public list. The cttee-cabal list should be the quiet one, not fsfe-uk.

Andrew.

Tel: +44 (0)870 741 6658  Fax: +44 (0)700 598 1135
Web: http://www.luminas.co.uk/
Orixo alliance: http://www.orixo.com/