Re: [Fsfe-uk] Linux for Kids Briefing

From: Paul
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Linux for Kids Briefing
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 00:14:03 +0100

Hi,

> For those with sprogs, I've finally found the time to get my "Linux for Kids"
> briefing online:
>
> http://www.fraw.org.uk/pubs/cltcpb/cltc_pb-02.html

Nice. I disagree though over the choice of distro. Richard (my 6 year
old) has had a linux box (or access to a linux box) since he was 2 and
all of them have been RH or FC boxes. He's never had a moments trouble.

Personally, I would advise the use of FC or Mandark. I'd never recommend
Debian. I just don't like it as a distro - it certainly is easy to get
running (but then so is FC, SuSE and Mandark), but it's not as good as
it's cracked up to be. I'd prefer to use Slackware over Debian!

A while back, his box went sploogie and I needed to resort to using
gnoppix to find the problem and get things working again. Richard played
with gnoppix and found it a pain to use.

That said, he is kind of a fun with machines - his record is to take
down his schools Win2003 server system in less than 11 minutes!

TTFN

Paul
--
Homer: Donut?
Lisa: No, thanks. Do you have any fruit?