Re: [Fsfe-uk] Munich, swpat and Linux - possible in UK

From: P.L.Hayes
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Munich, swpat and Linux - possible in UK
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 20:45:56 +0100

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 18:49:32 +0100
MJ Ray <address@hidden> wrote:

> I missed a trick: why is this only about free software like Linux?

Reading the /. discussion it seems the idea is to encourage the Munich city
people to put pressure on the government, using the fact that patent holders
might attack them directly if they use free software. I thought Tom's idea to
use the same tactic here might be a good idea but if the only potential
leverage is one feeble county council, it would be pointless. I suppose things
are so different in the U.K. that even if Ken Livingstone had spent millions on
flossicating London it wouldn't help much either.

Cheers,

Paul.