Re: [Fsfe-uk] Swpat & Lords Science & Technology Select Committee

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Swpat & Lords Science & Technology Select Committee
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 01:52:25 +0100

On 2004-07-22 23:08:29 +0100 Tom Chance <address@hidden> wrote:

Holger Blasum of the FFII sent me a message asking if we had thought to directly approach the Science & Technology Select Committee in the House of Lords?

Is someone able to do this? It would probably be good to have people in contact with each parliament or assembly technology committee, so don't be shy: there's plenty to go round!

They released a report recently on open, accessible scientific publishing:
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200304/cmselect/cmsctech/399/39902.htm

This looks like it is about Open Access http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/overview.htm

Open Access has many similar motives to Free Software, but seems to be younger and things like anti-commercial discrimination is still widely accepted. There are some links between the two, but all the ones I know of are very recent.

The news report (in German... can anyone translate?) is here:
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/49262

British Parliament for Open Access

In the newly published report "Scientific Publications: Free for All?", the Science and Technology Commitee of the House of Commons(?) criticises the British government: so far, they have paid too little attention to the misdevelopment of scientific publishing. Considering an average price rise for scientific journals of 58 percent between 1998 and 2003, shrinking library budgets and above average rises of scientific publications in comparison to other fields, the committee noted with growing worry "that the financial benefits of the considerable research investments from the public purse is increasingly excessively moving into the pockets of publishers' shareholders". "Digitalisation should ease the exit and not close in."
[TRANSLATION ENDS]

That last quote makes little sense to me and it was hell to straighten out both of them into something vaguely like English. The next sentence is four lines long! No way! I hate news-German and I was only taught the language 1988-92. If you want to ask questions about it, I'll try to answer, but it's much slower for me to translate than comprehend.

Please email about: BT alternative for line rental+DSL;
Education on SMEs+EU FP6; office filing that works fast