Re: [Fsfe-uk] Accounts

From: Ciaran O'Riordan
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Accounts
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 00:03:00 +0100

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 09:50:06PM -0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Ciaran O'Riordan <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Yes you can sell GPL software but people won't pay for it.
>
> I don't think that's true: both the FSF and myself have been paid for
> GPL-covered software.

I paid 30euro for an operating system last week, but it wasn't
really the software that I was buying.  I paid for the service
of having 4 isos downloaded, burnt and shipped (from New Zealand).
I probably could have gotten it cheaper but the NZ seller is
one of the developers so I chose him.

No one pays for software.  People pay M$ for the privilage (heh)
of using their software.  GPL automatically gives everyone
the privilage so a different incentive is needed.

People will pay for support, training, advice, hand-holding,
printed manuals, the medium+delivery, and proprietary licenses,
or to fund GPL s/w.

This is a good thing.  It means that commercial Free Software
entities have to actually provide a useful service in order
to receive an income.

I don't buy s/w from FSF, I make donations, why involve the
tax man?  Employees with purchasing power buy s/w from FSF
because they need invoices etc.  Purchases of GPL s/w are
like donation kludges.

People do get paid to write GPL s/w but that's not the issue here.

Copies of the GNU Accounting Utils are still available for
20 pounds, anyone interested should mail me off list.
GET YOUR COPY BEFORE THEY'RE SOLD OUT!!!!!!!!