Re: [Fsfe-uk] Accounts

From: Ciaran O'Riordan
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Accounts
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 02:16:37 +0100

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 12:17:44AM +0100, Ramanan Selvaratnam wrote:
> Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
>
> >On licensing:
> >Have you considered the MySQL AB approach,
> >GPL it all and make non-GPL licenses available for a fee to
> >companies that want to integrate some of your code
> >
> Am I correct to say that the GPL version can also be intergrated but it
> cannot be passed on for a fee?
> Where can one find good docs on dual licensing?

Yes you can sell GPL software but people won't pay for it.
(I'll sell you a copy of the GNU Accounting Utils for 20 quid if you like?)

I don't know of any dual licensing docs, it's not that big
a subject.  Dual licensing is just offering two licenses and
letting the user decide which one to be bound by.

If I was writing an application that needed a database back-end,
I'd integrate the MySQL code and choose to be bound by the GPL.
This would force me to GPL my code but that's okay with me.

If a proprietary software company was writing a similar application,
they may not want to be bound by the GPL, so they would pay for
the other license which doesn't require them to GPL their code.

(just for reference, Perl is dual licensed Artistic/GPL, Mozilla
 is dual licensed MPL/GPL, MySQL is obviously dual licensed
 GPL/MySQL-Proprietary-License)

Neither license affects the other, Perl, Mozilla, and MySQL can
all be used as GPL software, you just ignore the other licenses.

(know what I mean?)
Ciaran O'Riordan