[Fsfe-uk] Re: A fair deal on copyright?

From: Simon Waters
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Re: A fair deal on copyright?
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 14:28:16 +0100

Yesterday I attended the FIPR meeting "A fair deal on Copyright"
at the LSE.

Transport seemed to be a problem, with one of the original
speakers being still detained far away, but was well deputised,
and the tube strike.

The meeting was to discuss the European Copyright Directive, and
particularly its incorporation into UK law. (Hopefully anyone
reading the other threads will know all about this).

The speeches and presentations were in general excellent, and
the meeting over ran, although I would have preferred a more
formal setting discussion retreated to the Columbian bar.

My general opinion was that speaking to the patent office won't
get us far, and that for any meaningful adjustments they feel
will have to come from our political masters.

Anyway I'm feeling the inadequacy of my 'O' level in Current
Affairs, that covered the usual process of making UK law, but
didn't concern itself with Statutory Instruments, or the
European Commission......

There were some specific issues of wording, and content of the
proposal that are clearly unsatisfactory, and probably leave
open avenues for changing the perceived scope of the directives
implementation. Much lobbying will be needed......