Re: [Fsfe-uk] Money

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Money
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:24:15 GMT

OK, clarification for recent joiners.

There is no fee for being on the fsfe-uk mailing list.  It's just a place
for UK people interested in the FSF Europe activities to gather and discuss
things affecting Free Software activity in the UK.

A UK group, the Association For Free Software (AFFS), does have a membership
fee.  Basically, it's the nearest thing to the FSF in the UK and an
associate group of FSFE.  There is no FSFE UK Chapter at the moment.  In a
way, AFFS may be a stepping stone to its creation, but starting to build the
community we need for such a thing.

You can read more about AFFS on the web site at http://www.affs.org.uk/ and
decide whether you want to join and/or donate.  The aim is to support UK
Free Software activities in various ways.  Maybe soon we will start funds to
hold donations for other groups such as FSFE, to avoid bank charges.  I need
to check the practicalities of that.

The AFFS is currently an unincorporated association and not a registered
charity.  I hope to work on registering us as a charity shortly, but
incorporation is not a priority for me.

Ask me more questions and when I get this nailed down, I'll add the text to
the fsfe-uk list welcome message.

Thanks.

MJR
(also available as slef at jabber.at, slef on OFTC.net memoserv)