[Fsfe-uk] Re: UK Prepares Own Version of the DMCA

From: Keith Watson
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Re: UK Prepares Own Version of the DMCA
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 13:12:22 +0100

MJ Ray <address@hidden> wrote:
> Marc Eberhard <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Let's see, if someone comes up with additional material/concerns/arguments
> > we could include too. Otherwise, I would propose to go straight to proof
> > reading and final preparation.
>
> I've sent minor comments to Simon, but I'd like to thank him for his hard
> work in public too.  It is important that we get this response right, so any
> other views which could strengthen it would also be very welcome.

Just joined the list from ALUG (after following a link in one of Mark's post!
:o) ) so, hello all.

Following up on this thread, I think Simon has covered most things. The only
other area I can think of is the economic argument
(which Simon does allude to).  It's not unlikely that DMCA type legislation
will have a negative economic impact in the longer term
on countries that implement it.  In the short term it will benefit the patent
holders but, unless it is implemented world-wide
(unlikely) it will leave those countries that don't with a competitive
advantage in terms of the freedom to innovate (now where have
I heard that phrase before? :o) ).

So in the longer term we could well end up in a kind of technological backwater
by implementing this legislation.  This isn't far
fetched.  One thing the free software movement has highlighted is a) software
innovation isn't confined to a select few technically
advanced countries and b) the sheer wealth of creative talent all over the
world.  Look at any piece of open source software and see
how diverse the contributions are. There's not any reason to believe that that
this process should not continue.  By implementing
this legislation we could simply be opting out of the mainstream of
technological progress (and economic growth) into the 21st
century.  There's also the possibility that, with time, the more creative and
innovative individuals will chose to re-locate to
those countries where this legislation is not in force.

Keith