Re: [ft] Question about porting source code to C#

From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Subject: Re: [ft] Question about porting source code to C#
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2018 09:46:44 +1300

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 22:40:22 +0300, Александр Струняшев wrote:

> Unfortunately for our project we could use only managed code. And
> that means that current implementation is not really fit our needs.
> We are thinking about porting C++ code to C#.

If you fork the code, then all the maintenance burden for the fork
falls on you. As future feature enhancements and bug fixes (including
security problems!) come along, you will have to do all the work of
recreating them in your fork.

Are you ready to commit to such a thing? Or will your product fall
further behind over time, vis-à-vis the original thing?