Re: [ft] changing the depth of gray for anti-aliasing

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [ft] changing the depth of gray for anti-aliasing
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 17:20:22 +0900

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:
> In a few years I presume that this problem is finally no longer of
> great importance.  Due to iPhone and friends the display resolution
> reaches 200dpi and higher, making hinting unnecessary.

Is that really true?  My cellphone[1] has a DPI slightly above 300,
and I can still clearly discern the pixels on the smallest font sizes[2]
(Japanese fonts typically use non-anti-aliased fonts for small sizes).
While you could probably get away with less _severe_ hinting, I think
bad rasterization would be pretty visible.

[2] An olde-style japanese flip-phone (but japanese cell phones used
super high-res screens way before the iphone 4 anyway)...

[2] It's not 'cause I have super vision or anything, actually my
eyesight sucks... :(

-miles

--
魔力を持った謎の石仏