Re: [ft] ttfautohint: separate GUI and console binaries

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] ttfautohint: separate GUI and console binaries
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 19:03:25 +0100 (CET)

> may I ask about reasons of using static Qt libraries on windows?  Or
> maybe I have misunderstood you totally?

The only reason is to make the distribution of the binaries easier.
Actually, I don't see much difference in having a smaller
`ttfautohintGUI.exe' which must be then distributed with `qtcore4.dll'
and `qtgui4.dll'.  Due to the lack of a standard packaging system on
Windows, I have to always provide the Qt libraries, either statically
linked into the application or these two DLLs.

Note that there is some code which could be shared between ttfautohint
and ttfautohintGUI: the MinGW runtime and the FreeType library.
However, since I need FreeType 2.4.5 or newer which is not distributed
everywhere by default (in particular I got problem reports from Macs)
I think it's better to have them statically linked also.