Re: [ft] [ft-devel] FreeType License and patents

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] [ft-devel] FreeType License and patents
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 07:24:12 +0100 (CET)

> Do freetype authors hold or have they filed for a patent?

AFAIK, no.

> Don't you need it first before granting any patent license?

We want to cover contributed code.  Let's assume that company XXX
contributes code to have support for its new font driver format in
FreeType, and we accept such code.  If company YYY is using FreeType
together with the code from XXX, XXX could ask for royalties from YYY,
and this is what we want to avoid.