Re: [ft] Freetype2 - postscript font name

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft] Freetype2 - postscript font name
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 12:12:21 +0900

Hi

On Mon, 2 May 2005 23:33:11 +0300
Mika Kuuskankare <address@hidden> wrote:

>I am currently trying out a library called FTGL
>(http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/henryj/code/) that uses Freetype2. I
>need to implement basic PS printing/saving stuff and I was wondering is
>there a way to determine the postscript name of a font in freetype2 ? A
>quick look through the FTGL source code does not suggest to me that it
>(FTGL) would have that knowledge.

For the first step, please check dump in ft2demos tarball
(ft2demos-XXX/src/ftdump.c), it can read and print the
PostScript font name from TrueType font.

But, you should keep following 2 points in mind:

(1) FreeType2 covers various font format, and the font format which
    has its PostScript name is very limited (the examples I know are
    only PostScript, TrueType). FreeType2 does not synthesize PS name
    for the font format missing PS name.

(2) Usually, PS name in PS & TrueType font is not suitable to use font
    name for printing. For example, when you install ghostscript fonts
    in your system, PS fonts "Nimbus Mono" family are used to display
    "Courier". The name taken from the font file will be "Nimbus",
    although you want to use the name of "Courier" for PS printer or
    common-used PS file. At present, I have no idea to map/convert
    the fontname for system-internal use & data-exchanging use.

Regards,
mpsuzuki