[Freetype] Render with an outline

From: Fu Chen
Subject: [Freetype] Render with an outline
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:44:29 +0800

HI!
What I try to do is rendering small size character(10 or 12 points) on an
image. We can't know what's the image's color, so simply render string with one
color maybe hide the character in the background and make it difficult to
recognize.
Now, I render it four time with another color at (x-1, y-1), (x-1, y+1), (x+1,
y-1), (x+1,y+1)  to draw an outline for the character. But I think it will harm
the efficiency.
Is there any quick and elegant way to get this effect?