[Freetype] FT_Load_Glyph() - Always returns an error

From: Tim
Subject: [Freetype] FT_Load_Glyph() - Always returns an error
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 04:41:51 -0800 (PST)

I've just started working with FreeType 2 to try to
use in my library but I've been having trouble with
functions used in rendering.
FT_Load_Glyph(font[0],gIdx,FT_LOAD_DEFAULT); always
returns non-zero. Perhaps I'm missing something I
should call before it? The library initially will
initialize the library, load a font file(Using a
exotic Celtic font for a test), set Unicode encoding,
and then when it hits the loop it executes:
gIdx = FT_Get_Char_Index(font[0],str[i]);
if(!gIdx)
printf("Warning: failed to get character index\n");
if(FT_Load_Glyph(font[0],gIdx,FT_LOAD_DEFAULT) != 0)
printf("Warning: failed to load glyph.\n");
//...Never Gets this far...

font[0] is a element of a STL vector(type: FT_Face).
gIdx's type is FT_UInt.
What am I missing? Perhaps I need to do a conversion
for unicode?