Re: [Freetype] Certain characters of pbf fonts don't render?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Certain characters of pbf fonts don't render?
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 09:41:35 +0100 (CET)

> > Hmm, we need a kind of FT_Define_Charmap to create a
> > user-defined charmap which can be attached to a font.  Any
> > suggestions how such an interface could look like?

After some thinking I now believe that my suggestion was bad.
Reencoding a font is a feature specific to Type 1 fonts, and FreeType
tries to provide a uniform interface to all font formats.  While it
makes sense to have functions to *extract* data specific to a
particular font format, it is a not a good idea to have functions to
*manipulate* data specific to a particular font.

With other words, your approach of handling TeX encoding by yourself
is the right solution.