[Freetype] Re: Problem displaying fonts in Nautilus with freetype-2.1.0

From: Joe Marcus Clarke
Subject: [Freetype] Re: Problem displaying fonts in Nautilus with freetype-2.1.0
Date: 31 May 2002 15:29:35 -0400

On Fri, 2002-05-31 at 14:00, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> We recently updated the FreeBSD freetype2 port from 2.0.9 to 2.1.0.
> Afterwards, none of the main glyphs in Nautilus 1.0.6 (GNOME 1.4
> version) would render.  That is, none of the filenames appear.  In my
> ~/.gnomerc-errors file I see:
>
> no glyph loaded for character 'T'
>
> For each character nautilus tries to render.  I have tried the CVS snap
> as of a few minutes ago, but the problem remains.  My locale is US
> English, and I do not have the anti-aliasing GDK extensions loaded.
> Backing down to 2.0.9 restores full functionality.  The only non-default
> ftoption I'm using is byte code engine (this was the same in 2.0.9).
>
> I know there were considerable internal changes between 2.0.9 and 2.1.0,
> but I was under the impression that binary compatibility would not be
> broken.  Is this not the case?  Is this behavior expected?  Note that
> Nautilus 1.0.6 _builds_ fine with FT 2.1.0.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks.

Replying to myself...

I did some more research, and found the problem seems to be with
librsvg-1.0.3 and the FT_CONFIG_OPTION_USE_CMAPS ftoption.  As soon as I
undefine this option, all glyphs are rendered fine Nautilus.

The offending function looks to be FT_Get_Char_Index, but I haven't done
enough testing to be sure.  In any event, we have a workaround.  What is
the disadvantage by undefining FT_CONFIG_OPTION_USE_CMAPS?

Joe