Re: [Freetype] Standard Type Services Framework (STSF) 0.2 Released

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Standard Type Services Framework (STSF) 0.2 Released
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 17:02:20 +0400

On Wednesday 01 May 2002 06:27, Alexander Gelfenbain wrote:
|  The STSF team announces the 0.2 release of the Standard Type Services
| Framework.

Congratulations!

|  The source code and FreeBSD binary packages (Linux RPM packages to follow)
|  are available for download from http://sourceforge.net/projects/stsf/
|
|  STSF consists of two parts:
|
|  ST  - rendering-system independent framework
|
|  XST - X11 extension to XFree86 4.2.0 that exports ST functionality
|        to X11 clients
|
|  ST compiles on Solaris, Linux, and FreeBSD platforms.  XST compiles on
| Solaris, Linux, and FreeBSD as well, but does not contain drivers for
| common Solaris/sparc graphics cards, so is not usable on most Solaris/sparc
| platforms at this time.
|
|  The source code comes in two archives:
|      st-0.2.src.tgz
|          contains the entire ST source tree
|
|      xst-0.2_xfree86-4.2.0.src.tgz
|          contains the entire XFree86 4.2.0 + XST extension
|          source tree
|
|      Alternatively, if you already have XFree86 4.2.0 source
|      tree you can apply a patch xfree86-xst-0.2.patch.gz to
|      it.
|
|  ST currently requires GNU make and FreeType
|  (See the docs/INSTALL file in the ST distribution for full instructions.)
|
|  XST requires ST, Motif or OpenMotif, and GNU libiconv if your system libc
| does not provide iconv.  (A link to the ST source tree must exist as "ST"
| in the parent directory of the XST tree.)

well, does it require ST *and* (Motif or OpenMotif), or ST *or* Motif *or*
OpenMotif?
Motif (OpenMotif) is treated as some kind of *legacy* by most Open-Source
developers, so adding it as requirement doesn't sound like a good idea.

|  Neither ST nor XST are completely implemented at this time, but you can
| see what is available by running our xclock -digital or xstfontsel demos in
| X or the ST web demo cgi using the GD graphics library.

Any screenshot demonstrating capabilities?

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)