Re: [Render] Re: [Freetype] Ambiguously Undefined Glyphs [was: Mozilla n

From: Juliusz Chroboczek
Subject: Re: [Render] Re: [Freetype] Ambiguously Undefined Glyphs [was: Mozilla needs some info on Xft]
Date: 11 Aug 2001 09:17:26 +0200

BS> Could you describe what specifically is ``cleary bogus''.

In Pentolian, there is a character that is usually typeset as a
vertical squiggle.  One region of Pentolia, however, Southern Padelia,
has a distinct typographical tradition, and they leave a space where
other people put the squiggle.

By doing what you've done, you've suddenly broken all the fonts that
have been painstakingly localised by the National Liberation Front of
Southern Padelia.  Lucky you, the FLNPS doesn't condone terrorism.

(Seriously, though, the reason why I find it so disturbing is that the
behaviour of Mozilla is to depend on the glyph data.  If I were a font
designer, I would find it rather disturbing to discover that Mozilla
has hard-wired rules about what given codepoints are allowed to look
like, and that it allows itself to discard glyphs that don't fit its
prejudices.

I understand that you've got a problem to solve, and that you're into
making sure that fonts rebranded by Microsoft work, not into
satisfying some obscure font designers that will never find out your
name anyway.  But if you decide to take this road, I would strongly
suggest that you make this an option, and one that defaults to off.)

                                        Juliusz