Re: [Freetype] font catalog

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Freetype] font catalog
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 20:52:16 +0000

On Wednesday 08 August 2001 11:38, Antoine Leca wrote:
|   Vadim Plessky wrote:
|   > |   Are you proposing to produce a series of fonts each with all
|   > | 40,000+ in-use Unicode points?
|   >
|   > No.
|   > I propose to produce something like Arial/Times New Roman in Windows.
|   > Arial has 1296 glyphs.
|
|   You are missing Brian's point. He wants something that is able to display
|   any Unicode-conformant text. His problem is that a number of CJK fonts,
|   in order to make the file lighter, have some (presumably unused) outlines
|   just stripped from the font, but the rest of the font (cmap, loca,
| bounding box, etc.) is still in place. He is willing to work around this
| problem. (Brian, please feel free to contradict me if I guessed wrong).

ok, Japaneese, Chineese and Korean fonts are out of my experience.
Probably, they need some special "fixing" im Mozilla.

|   > I even think that Latin-2 + Cyrillic is enough for most cases.
|   > Number of people using computers with Arabic, Hebrew and Greek are
|   > rather limited, so basically you need to make around 300 glyphs only,
|   > not 1296... If necessary, you can add missing glyphs later.
|
|   You never went to Japan, did you?  ;-)

No. And I don't miss it. Have heard from friends who visited Japan that food
there is terrible. And even 5-star hotels have very small rooms.

|   Please remember that Japan is closer to California than Moscow! :-)))

It depends how you count. From Vladivostok or Khabarovsk (Russian cities on
Far East), Japan is very close. Probably, less than 1 hour flight.  :-))

|   >
|   > recommend it to people here, in Russia. And this make me thinking, that
|   > support for more exotic languages is even worser.
|
|   OTOH, its support of e.g. Armenian is better than the support for most of
|   its concurrent[s]. Anyway, this is not the place to launch a browser war.

all Armenian people living here speak pretty good Russian.
Are there good Armenian sites? I even don't know where to start search for
them.
We have here several site ranking systems (top.list.ru, spylog.ru) and
Ukranian, Belorussian, other ex-USSR sites can be included into it.
Haven't seen any Armenian (or Georgian) sites in it.

BTW: I was looking for Cyrillic (non-Russian) sites some time ago, and while
I was able to locate sites in Macedonian, it's not easy to find site in
Serbian-Cyrillic.
later I was told by one Serbian guy that many people tend now to use Latin
instead of Cyrillic. And one of the reasons was lack of Cyrillic fonts.

>From my point of view, having browser capable to render Cyrillic, and a set
of good-quality fonts matching designer's needs, is much more important than
rendering of Armenian.
That's just Economics of Scale. Nothing personal against Armenian, Arabic or
whatever.

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)