Re: Output File IO

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: Output File IO
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 23:46:49 +0200

Hi Bill,

> Confession:  I'm a TrueType newbee
>
> I have an idea for a font creation program.  I was researching
> my idea and I found the freetype site.
>
> I want to programmatically create a font.  Not simply modify
> one.  Perhaps I am biting off more than I can chew.  Stuff I
> read points in the direction of: read an existing font, modify
> it, rename and file.  Is the later a better option the then
> former.  Or does freetype provide an option to create a brand
> new font file.  I did not find one in my initial, cursory,
> search of your library. Or, does freetype need that functionality?
> (If I do it and freetype needs it, I'll share it.  BIG if!)

Actually, the FreeType library itselft is certainly not built to
provide such functionality. Its design is focused on providing
access to the font's content, not managing it (which requires a
more flexible model)..

I would recommend to use the absolutely excellent TTX TrueType-XML
converter from Just Van Rossum (see "Typography Links" on our web
pages). It's a really powerful python library that will allow you
to easily edit and/or create font files..

Note that we may also add such a "font producer" library to the
project in the future, though I won't comment on anything until
at least the FreeType 2 release.. All I can say is that it will
probably be a lot more restricted than TTX though..

> One more question, if I may.  I have been searching for "How To"
> books on how the internals of TrueType work. How to read, modify,
> save, and programmatically install a font. Ideally a "hand it to
> me on a platter": how to write a font creation program.  I don't
> find one.  I don't find much on programing fonts at all. This project
> isn't going to be easy!  Does anyone have any books they would care
> to recommend to me.

As you say, this project isn't going easy, for the sole reason that
font formats are so darn complex nowadays !! You should first start
by reading the specifications of common font formats (TrueType,
Type 1, CID-Type 1, CFF/Type2, TrueType GX, OpenType, etc..)
Of course, there are all the non-scalable formats too..

A lot is available from the Microsoft and Apple sites.. I believe
that Microsoft is also proposing a sort of programming environment
to build font editors (though the technology uses a bastardization
of COM to make it run only on Windows.. how surprising..)

I'm pretty confident that you won't find more than a couple of valuable
books related to digital typography, apart from the specs. I believe that
some people from EPFL wrote something a few years ago, but it's hardly a
"do-it-yourself font creation program" course..

> On the belief that this post is more an aggravation to the list
> than a help, you might want to reply directly to me rather than
> bother the entire list.  If I get a nice list of recommended books
> I'll post a composite.

Well, such a book list might be helpful, don't hesitate to post
it on the list if you find one.

Best regrads,

- David